So where in Monmouth County, New Jersey is all the fun? The following is a list of ten different and interesting senior citizen-friendly activities to enjoy with a group of friends or alone.
- Grape Beginnings located in Eatontown, New Jersey guides participants through the winemaking process. Their new 6,000 square foot winery is set up to provide aspiring winemakers and wine lovers with expert guidance while providing an enjoyable experience. For more information on making your own wines in New Jersey visit their website at https://grapebeginningswine.com/ or call them at 732-380-7356.
- Horse Sense Therapeutic Riding Center is located in Howell, New Jersey. Dreams of horseback riding do not have to fade away just because we get older. This riding center caters to people with special physical needs by providing a program tailored to each individual. The center’s goal is to teach proper horse care and basic riding to everyone who likes horses. Horseback riding builds self-esteem and confidence, flowing into every aspect of life. For more information about Therapeutic Riding visit their website at https://horsesensenj.com/ or call them at 732-910-7855.
- Village Arts is located in Allentown, New Jersey. Village Arts offers a variety of classes, workshops and events for adults of all ages at their art studio. They supply the paint, canvases and any other supplies. Bring a group of friends, light snacks and a camera to capture the fun. Classes include painting, drawing, and exploring many other techniques and mediums.
Local seniors are welcomed for private paint events and group events opened to the general public. The artists of Village Arts can bring their services to local 55 and over communities and set up class in the clubhouse. They would be thrilled to have a weekly senior class and are just waiting for a lively group to express interest. For more information about Village Arts, find them on the web at https://www.villageartsnj.com/ or by calling them at 609-502-1674.
- Info Age is located in Wall, New Jersey. Formally known as "Information Age Learning Center," it’s a nonprofit organization located at a Historical World War II Site. There are dozens of unique exhibits from a fallout shelter to the oldest computers known to man! “The purpose of our museums is to enable the public, including students of all ages to learn more about science and history in a historic atmosphere,” said Info Age director. “We’re delighted to extend the hours for public visits to our museums which we consider to be a major historic and cultural resource for our state and region.” Visit them on the web at https://infoage.org/wp/infoage/calendar-of-events
- Get ready to rethink your local senior center. The days of sleepy centers with a weekly bingo game are long gone. Senior centers are now fitness and wellness centers. Many have nutrition and cooking classes, and there are employment and volunteer headquarters for many organizations. Many centers keep track of all the fun local activities available for local seniors and sponsor trips of all types. They are open to anyone age 50 and above with 11,000 centers across the country serving one million participants. Many centers offer special events arts/crafts; music/dance; lifelong learning and fitness/health programs.
- The website Yoga Centers of Monmouth County, New Jersey offers a comprehensive list of yoga studios throughout the county. Many studios offer gentle yoga, chair yoga or slower paced classes to meet the needs of older participants. Yoga provides better breathing, circulation, mobility, mental clarity and wellness. The list of yoga centers can be found on line at https://www.yoga-centers-directory.net/usa/new_jersey_monmouth.htm
- Line Dancing Classes – The Manalapan Senior Citizen Center offers Line Dancing Classes on Thursday mornings from 10:30 am – 11:30 am. Classes are free. Each dance is demonstrated and broken down into easy segments and practiced with fun music. Join the group and dance your way to fitness! A listing of all groups and activities are available at https://mtnj.org/departments/senior_center/activities_classes
- Keep an eye out for the 2016 Monmouth County Senior Art Contest and Exhibition. Last year, over 100 Monmouth County seniors participated in this contest and exhibition of original artwork. Professionals and amateurs alike participate in acrylics, craft, computer imagery, drawing, mixed media, oil, pastels, photography, print, sculpture and watercolor art. Details for this year’s event should be available sometime this spring. To see last year’s winners visit https://co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/54/2015%20SeniorArtShow_Awards.pdf
- Storytellers Mosaic meets on the first Thursday of each month from 1-3 pm at the Neptune Library in Neptune, New Jersey. Each participant has the option of bringing a short story of their own choosing or telling a story from the stock of stories in their “Story Pantry”. The group shares ideas about the art of storytelling. Each person is matched up with a story-partner for 15 minutes of practice. Finally, everyone tells a story either solo or with a partner. In a short time, people who were strangers have bonded into a group of supportive, enthusiastic members. All are welcome.
- The Silver Ball Museum is a tribute to the nostalgic game of pinball in Asbury Park, New Jersey. This museum features a wide variety of classic rare pinball machines along with modern day versions of the addictive game. Tuesdays is always ‘50’s day with great songs from the 1950’s and discounted admission for people 50 years old and above. Described as the coolest place on earth this museum is a must see. Visit their website athttps://silverballmuseum.com
Having fun is an important part of life. Take every opportunity to have new experiences and make new friends!
Contact Kupuna Consulting
If you are looking for more ways to create a healthier and fun lifestyle for yourself a loved senior in your life, the professionals at Kupuna Consulting, Certified Senior Advisors can help. To reach our team, call 732-655-4770 or click here.